[ESS] Bugs (?) is ESS 12.09 (under Windows)

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 00:49:32 CET 2012

Hi Jarmo,

Thanks for kind words.

  >> Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri at syk.fi>
  >> on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 22:53:56 +0200 wrote:

  > Three problems have appeared, and I was able to reproduce two of them
  > now:
  > 1. In the R interaction buffer (or whatever it is called, the buffer
  >    where R is running), typing

  >    ?function

  >    followed by Enter hangs Emacs.

Indeed, this one was a bit of an unfinished business in 12.09. It has
been solved in the development version.

  > 2. Also, typing

  >    ls (

  >    followed by Enter (that is, leaving a command uncompleted), and then
  >    pressing M-p when the "+" prompt is shown hangs Emacs.

Nobody reported this one before. I cannot reproduce it on linux. What is
M-p bound to in your case?

  > The third problem is that under some (not so uncommon conditions,
  > because I have seen this happen several times), sending a piece of R
  > code from an .R-file to be evaluated via C-c C-b leaves the cursor in
  > the R interaction buffer in the middle of the buffer, not at the bottom
  > where the prompt is. This is very annoying, because you always need to
  > go to the end of buffer "manually" (the error seems to persist if it
  > happens once). But I can not reproduce this right now.

Well, comint (the mode on which iESS is based) is designed to keep the
cursor where it is. Particularly, if the cursor is after the prompt it
keeps it there and inserts the output before the point.

So my guess is that you just left you point somewhere in the middle of
the process buffer before evaluating commands from a script buffer.

You can configure comint to jump to the prompt on new output. See the
variable comint-move-point-for-output for more details. But this could
be annoying sometimes.

    Vitalie