[ESS] sas-mode redefining newline? how can I make it stop?

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri May 6 18:54:52 CEST 2011

On 05/ 6/11 11:31 AM, fork wrote:
> If I type<return>  after a line that starts with "data baz;", it puts the cursor
> underneath "b" in baz.  I would prefer that it put the cursor at the front of
> the line, as in plain old text mode.
>
> This happens whether I run these from eval:  (setq ess-sas-edit-keys-toggle nil)
> or (setq ess-sas-edit-keys-toggle 1)
>
> Also, I have run "C-h c" to check my key binding, and<return>  is definitely
> bound to newline.
>
> I guess I could create a new command using "beginning-of-line" and some other
> things, and then rebind it to<return>, but that seems convoluted and bad....
>
> Really, I only want syntax highlighting, NOTHING more...
>
> Ideas?  Thanks!

Hi Fork:

Are you sure?  Return appears to be set to newline-and-indent.  Are you
using Emacs or XEmacs?  Did you try the Enter key to see if something
different happens?  I'd check my init files and default.el/site-start.el
to see if there is anything amiss.  You can also try variants of:

(global-set-key (kbd "<return>") [?\C-m])

At the end of the day, I doubt that this is an ESS issue.  YMMV

Rodney