[ESS] ess-error: ESS process not ready. Wasn't there a fix for this? Make Sweave -> pdflatex work. Help?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 22 08:45:30 CEST 2011

    > I need to know why the rest of you don't see "ESS process
    > not ready" if you do things in the way Martin
    > describes. See below

Could it be that you use a very non-standard  R prompt ?
i.e., would it work after

 options(prompt = "> ")

I think that ESS does not have the prompt hard wired,
but I'm pretty sure that
 options(prompt = " ")
would break things..
Did you "accidentally" do that?

Regards,
Martin

    > On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Martin Maechler
    > <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

    >> That's why  texi2pdf  is the default command, run by  M-n
    >> P..  I use Sweave most of the time with these two:
    >>
    >> M-n s  {Sweave whole buffer --> *.tex} M-n P  {pdflatex
    >> *.tex; bibtex ...}
    >>
    >> but also am glad that I can send single lines of R code,
    >> or one chunk, or ...  If I want.

When I try this Martin's way, I end up with the same error I get when