[ESS] ess-error: ESS process not ready. Wasn't there a fix for this? Make Sweave -> pdflatex work. Help?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 06:16:13 CEST 2011

I need to know why  the rest of you don't see "ESS process not ready"
if you do things in the way Martin describes. See below

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Martin Maechler
<maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

> That's why  texi2pdf  is the default command, run by  M-n P..
> I use Sweave most of the time with these two:
>
> M-n s  {Sweave whole buffer --> *.tex}
> M-n P  {pdflatex *.tex; bibtex ...}
>
> but also am glad that I can send single lines of R code, or one chunk, or ...
> If I want.

When I try this Martin's way, I end up with the same error I get when
I use the pull down menus.

The Emacs minibuffer says

ess-error: ESS process not ready. Finish your command before trying again.

It appears to me the pull down menu Noweb -> Sweave,Tangling -> Sweave
is exactly the same as "M-n s".

Emacs "messages" buffer says:

no ESS processes running; starting R
Type C-h m for help on ESS version 5.13
(No changes need to be saved)
Sweave()ing "/home/pauljohn/ps/SVN-repo/Rcourse/data-1/data1.Rnw"