[ESS] Emacs Modified available

Vincent Goulet Vincent.Goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Sun Feb 20 19:57:08 CET 2011

Le 2011-02-18 à 23:20, Paul Johnson a écrit :

> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Vincent Goulet
> <Vincent.Goulet at act.ulaval.ca> wrote:
>> I finally managed to set up my web site on a new server provided by my faculty. Therefore, the Emacs for [Windows|OS X] Modified distribution is now available at the usual address:
>>
>>        http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/
>>
>> I took to opportunity to simplify and overhaul the site a bit. And use a more recent picture on the home page... ;-)
>>
>> Sorry for the inconvenience and the delay.
>

> Thanks for doing this. I truly appreciate the effort. And framepop?
> how much better can it get than that!
>
> Can you tell me something.  How "smart" are these windows installers
> about upgrading an existing Emacs install?

Very little, I'm think!

>  Will they remove the old
> version for us automatically?

Not that I know of, but I'm far from being a reference on these things. Personally, I always remove before I install a new version.

> Here's why I ask. Last time, I installed Emacs in a folder that does
> not mention the version number,
>
> C:\Program Files\GNUEmacs
>
> Will this one notice that and install in the same place (I hope yes).

I'm pretty sure the Inno installer will overwrite existing files (good), install new files (good), but leave there old files behind (bad).

> I do lots of Linux packaging, and I know how I wish this would work in
> Windows, but I am afraid...

Linux packagers are much smarter in every respect. I also like the Mac way of doing things: most applications are one bundle that you simply copy in your /Applications folder to install and drag in the Trash to delete. Neat.

v.