[ESS] Finding Rterm in R 2.12.0 on Windows

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Feb 3 18:54:47 CET 2011

On 02/ 3/11 12:43 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> 1. The DEFAULT install path for R should NOT have an R version number
> in it. It should only be C:/Program Files/R.  I propose to do that,
> either for 64bit or 32bit installs, even on a Win7 system, where the
> system seems to prefer to install in C:/Program Files (x86)/R.   For
> ordinary users, only one version of R will be desired, and expert
> users can add the version number to the path if they want several
> installed.
>
> Benefits.  Supposing that the R packaging does not change the location
> of Rterm.exe, we can put the right folder in the PATH and forget about
> it.  We need either bin (old packaging), or bin/i386 or bin/x64. That
> can be added to the system PATH and it will not have to be revised
> when R is updated.  And ESS will always be able to find R, since it
> will be in the path.
>
> This is a *good thing* because sometimes other programs--not just
> Emacs/ESS--will want to run R executables.

Hi Paul:

I agree.  But, can you actually do #1?  I thought there was some Bill
Gates slight-of-hand going on that prevents you from doing that.  If
not, then please enlighten us.  I've only been using 7 occasionally
and these idiosyncrasies are very annoying to anyone who has used
XP (or NT/OS X for that matter).

Rodney