[ESS] How to stop highlighting after eval-region

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Mar 17 14:49:51 CET 2010

On 03/17/10 03:10 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:
>      LA>  Try customizing the variable ess-eval-deactivate-mark
>      LA>  and set it to t (M-x customize-variable
>      LA>  ess-eval-deactivate-mark).
>
> Thank you, Leo, for helping..
>
>      LA>  (IMO, it should be true by default).
>
> I'd tend to agree: It has been true for me "forever".
>
> OTOH, I tend to be very reluctant in changing *defaults*
> of functions I write (in R, or Emacs lisp, ...):
> In theory, all calls of such a function (which does not
> explicitly set the option explicitly) would have to be
> reconsidered...
>
> OTOH, I also do agree that a change seems sensible.
> Note that this is only visible for those of us who have
> activated "transient mark mode" aka
> "Active Region Highlighting"
> 	( = first entry of Emacs menu 'Options' )
>
> What do others ESS-lovers (and particularly experts)
> think about such a proposed change?
>
> Martin Maechler

Perhaps I'm being dense, but does this actually fix the
problem?  I haven't seen a response from Jason.  And
the circumstances of his problem would suggest not (it worked
before, but after an upgrade of ESS, it doesn't).  As
this seems to be an Emacs-only issue, I can see no
objection provided it is actually needed and sufficiently tested.

Rodney