[ESS] How to stop highlighting after eval-region

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 17 09:10:47 CET 2010

    >> I recently upgraded to ESS version 5.8-1 (from a rather
    >> dated version) and am interested in having ess stop
    >> highlighting the region after I have evaluated it.  For
    >> example, I highlight a region, type C-c C-r (which
    >> evaluates the region just fine), but then the region is
    >> still highlighted (whereas in my older version, ess just
    >> moved the cursor to the last location before evaluating
    >> the region).  Any ideas on how to have the region
    >> un-highlighted after evaluation?  I'm using Ubuntu 9.04
    >> w/ R version 2.10.14 and emacs version 22.2.1.

    LA> Try customizing the variable ess-eval-deactivate-mark
    LA> and set it to t (M-x customize-variable
    LA> ess-eval-deactivate-mark).

Thank you, Leo, for helping..

    LA> (IMO, it should be true by default).

I'd tend to agree: It has been true for me "forever".

OTOH, I tend to be very reluctant in changing *defaults*
of functions I write (in R, or Emacs lisp, ...):
In theory, all calls of such a function (which does not
explicitly set the option explicitly) would have to be
reconsidered...

OTOH, I also do agree that a change seems sensible.
Note that this is only visible for those of us who have
activated "transient mark mode" aka
"Active Region Highlighting"
	( = first entry of Emacs menu 'Options' )

What do others ESS-lovers (and particularly experts)
think about such a proposed change?

Martin Maechler