[ESS] install.packages() fails on Windows 7; can't choose CRAN mirror

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Jun 23 15:54:04 CEST 2010

Hi Paul,

Paul Johnson wrote:
> Can you try install.packages on Windows 7 to see if you hit this same trouble?
>
> On a Win 7 system we have the newest Emacs / ESS from Prof Goulet's
> website. ESS is version 5.10.
>
> We run into a problem similar to the "File Chooser" panel won't work
> problem that existed in older ESS. Remember when R would ask you to
> choose a working directory and it would not let  you pick one?  Now a
> similar happens, but it won't pop up a menu chooser.  When we run
> install.packages("xyz"), the *R* window stops saying select CRAN
> mirror, nothing ever pops up to let us choose a site.
>
> Emacs appears "stuck".   We have to open the ordinary Rgui and run
> install.packages.

This is a problem that has existed for a long time, without resolution.
Other solutions that others have not mentioned include:

Stupidly,

library(tcltk)
install.packages("xyz")

will allow the popup window to pop.

If you forget the above, a quick C-g, C-c C-c will get the prompt back,
at which time install.packages() will work correctly.

Alternatively,

install.packages("xyz", repos="myfavoriterepository")

always works.

Best,

Jim

--