[ESS] cut and past binding in my emacs linux broken

Ron Burns rrburns at cox.net
Sat Jan 23 06:25:01 CET 2010

Dear All-

This is not a specific ess problem, but I am hoping that because there
are a lot of emacs experts that read this group someone can point me in
the right direction.

I upgraded to ubuntu 9.10 ( 2.6.31-17-generic #54-Ubuntu)
I am using GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
I am using a Dell XPS laptop with a touchpad

In other programs (e.g. thunderbird mailer) all of the touchpad
functionality seems OK with respect right-click marking and then
simultaneous right-left click to paste and scroll bar movements (i.e.
moving the scroll bar (right-click and drag) moves the bar and does not
highlight any text; ditto for simultaneous right-left click and drag;
Left-click drag scroll bar does nothing.)

In emacs and hence ess the behavior has changed:
-basic cut and paste right-click marking and then simultaneous
right-left click to paste works OK if do not use scroll bar to move cursor.
-right-click and drag scroll bar highlights text and leaves cursor at
end of drag with text marked and in kill buffer.
-left-click and drag scroll bar highlights text and deletes the marked
text at end of drag (when release left-click)
-simultaneous right-left click and drag scroll bar pastes the kill
buffer at the point of the right-left-click release.

I plugged in a usb mouse and the behavior is similar, but not exactly
the same so I do not think it is a touchpad setting problem plus seems
OK in other editors.

I know this is slightly off topic but ess-R is my platform for R
development and I am dead in the water now as every natural sequence of
edits totally destroys my work in progress.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and help.

Ron

--
R. R. Burns
Physicist (Retired)