[ESS] [Roxygen-devel] Roxygen and Emacs (ESS)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 22 10:02:04 CET 2010

    >> 2010/1/18 Daniel Sabanés Bové <daniel.sabanesbove at ifspm.uzh.ch>
    >> Wow! That is absolutely great, Henning! Thank you very much for this
    >> nice add-on. I have waited a long time for better Roxygen support in
    >> ESS, but did not have time nor talent to make up something like your
    >> ess-roxy.el.
    >>
    >> 2010/1/18  Rainer M Krug
    >> This looks really really nice.
    >> Would it be possible, to merge this into ESS, if Henning agrees? Would make
    >> installation and update much easier.

    HR> Good to hear that you like it!

    HR> It would be fantastic if it was merged to ESS as far as I'm concerned.

Ok, thank you Henning.

ESS core tends to agree..

however ...

Have you (Henning) looked at ess-roxygen and the
(ess-roxygen-fn) that we've provided for a while a bit more than
a year and bound to C-c C-o ?

Of course, you do much more than that in ess-roxy.el
it seems to me that your (ess-roxy-update-entry)
is similar [but more general!] to the current ESS function
ess-roxygen-fn.
In order to keep back compatibility, it may be that dropping
ess-roxygen.el in favor of ess-roxy.el, additionally binding
ess-roxy-update-entry to C-c C-o,
and maybe allowing a flag {optional argument} for ess-roxy-update-entry
to do more closely what C-c C-o does now.

Note that there are problem with ess-roxy.el too
(I've found typo, one function use of a function not loaded in
 standard emacs 23),
so we'd potentially be glad if someone [ Henning? ] who uses
ess-roxy regularly [not ESS-core at the moment] would "sign"
responsible for its maintenance for a while.

Regards,
Martin Machler, ETH Zurich