[ESS] New ESS user questions.

Erik Iverson eriki at ccbr.umn.edu
Mon Aug 9 21:16:22 CEST 2010

Alex,

First thing I notice is in the documentation for ess-directory:
"The directory ESS is run from.  It must end in a slash."
So try adding that final "/" first...

My approach to your issue is the following:
1) define elisp function in .emacs for each project I work on.
  -- these launch shells, start R, start dired, open a default file,
setup windows, etc.

2) These elisp functions call an R function found in my .Rprofile,
specific to each project.
-- these function use setwd() to set the working directory in R, check
if any new updates are available in the data directories, etc.

I have something like the following for each of my elisp functions:

(defun studyname ()
   (R)
   (ess-execute "studyname()" 'buffer)

)

where studyname is whatever study I'm launched.

The advantage to this situation is that whatever I'm doing in emacs, I
can simply do:

M-x studyname

and an appropriate R session, shell session, dired buffer, etc are all
created and placed on the screen how I want them, and any relevant
messages are waiting for me in the new R session (such as "Updated
Transfer Available").

Hope this helps!
Erik