[ESS] New ESS user questions.

Alex Bokov bokov at uthscsa.edu
Mon Aug 9 21:04:10 CEST 2010

I've just started using ESS and so far it's wonderful. The only problem
is session management. When I run R from a console, for each project I'm
working on I have a script for invoking one or more R sessions in
specific directories along with a text editor preset to open certain files.

The part I can't figure out is how to specify what the R working
directory should be. I tried to set the default directory and launch R
in my .emacs file as follows...

(setq ess-directory '"~/Documents/10_mydir")
(R)

...iESS launches an R session just fine but no matter what I set the
directory to, R's working directory is always "~/Documents/". What am I
doing wrong?

I suppose I could set the desired directory as an environment variable
or write it to a temporary file and then have my .Rprofile read it and
change directories accordingly, but that seems like reinventing the
wheel if Emacs can do it for me.

Thanks.