[ESS] How to control indentation in an R function?

Seb spluque at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 22:56:57 CET 2009

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:57:49 -0800 (PST),
Michael Hannon <jm_hannon at yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

> Yes, that does indent by four spaces.  Thanks.

> Also, FYI, I ran the Emacs "describe-variable" function as indicated
> in the appended text.  It appears that Emacs "sees" the value of 4
> that I set, but it's using a local value of 2.  I was unable to find a
> way to override that local value.

There appears to be some interaction with CC mode bindings.  Following
the recommendations in the R Coding Standards (R Internals manual), I
have:

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (c-set-style "bsd")
	    (setq c-basic-offset 4)))

which achieves 4-space indentation, although ess-indent-level is 2.

--
Seb