[ESS] help in R 2.10 Windows

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Mon Nov 2 23:57:03 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 23:19 +0100, Martin Maechler wrote:
> Hi Ross
> (and everyone else).
>
> In the "development version" of ESS (in 'svn' / subversion)
> I have committed changes that should fix this problem persistently.
> I'd be glad if you could try out the new (unreleased) version of ESS
> and confirm that my changes fix the problem.
> You can get the Windows-zip file
>   ftp://stat.ethz.ch/U/maechler/ESS/ess-5.6.zip
> which you need to unpack at the appropriate place,
> or possibly only use its ./lisp/ subdirectory instead of the installed
> ./ess/ one..

Thanks.

The out of the box behavior is what I want (help in emacs).

inferior-ess-help-command is "help(\"%s\", htmlhelp=FALSE)\n"
which is still using the obsolescent argument htmlhelp.

I'm not entirely sure I'm picking of the new code; the ESS version still
says 5.5.  I did restart emacs.

I also just (re)discovered that my .emacs file had
(setq inferior-ess-r-help-command "help(\"%s\", htmlhelp=TRUE)\n")
so my previous results need to be interpreted in that light.  Previous
discussion seemed to indicate setting the variable was irrelevant in ESS
5.5.  For tests reported in this message I commented out the setting.

Also, I reported previously a long delay getting help to pop up in a
browser.  I get the same delay on the initial launch of R inside ESS.
That supports the theory that my virus scanner is getting in the way.

Ross