[ESS] Only interested in fontification

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Jun 5 21:48:03 CEST 2009

Daniel Muenz wrote:
> Hi guys, thanks for your suggestions.  I should have given more details:
>
> -  I'm running GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on Unix (SunOS, version 5.8 or 5.10,
> depending on what server I log on to).  I don't have Unix or Emacs or ESS
> installed on my computer; instead I use xterm to log on to a server that
> does have them.
>
> - The ESS version is 5.1.24.  Byte-compiling the ESS files would only work
> if I wanted to copy all of them over to my own Unix directory.  I don't
> have write-permission to the public directory in which the files currently
> reside.
>
> -  Increasing the start-up speed of Emacs is not really my goal (although I
> mentioned it as a nice potential consequence).  At my institute, we're
> encouraged to exclusively batch submit our programs (we use SAS and S+)
> from the Unix command line, and essentially to avoid the (admittedly cool)
> use of ESS to submit the programs from within Emacs.
>
> Really all we use ESS for is the fontifying of SAS and S+ code, and I'd
> like, if possible, to remove the excess weight.
>
> Thanks again,
> Daniel

I don't know about batch submitting S+, but batch submitting SAS
is easy.  Place (setq ess-sas-global-unix-keys t) in your
emacs init file before (require 'ess-site) then restart emacs and
press F3.  I don't know anyone who bothers with interactive SAS
any more.

--
Rodney Sparapani      Center for Patient Care & Outcomes Research (PCOR)
Sr. Biostatistician              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor