[ESS] Only interested in fontification

Daniel Muenz dmuenz at sdac.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 5 20:51:16 CEST 2009

Hi guys, thanks for your suggestions.  I should have given more details:

-  I'm running GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on Unix (SunOS, version 5.8 or 5.10,
depending on what server I log on to).  I don't have Unix or Emacs or ESS
installed on my computer; instead I use xterm to log on to a server that
does have them.

- The ESS version is 5.1.24.  Byte-compiling the ESS files would only work
if I wanted to copy all of them over to my own Unix directory.  I don't
have write-permission to the public directory in which the files currently
reside.

-  Increasing the start-up speed of Emacs is not really my goal (although I
mentioned it as a nice potential consequence).  At my institute, we're
encouraged to exclusively batch submit our programs (we use SAS and S+)
from the Unix command line, and essentially to avoid the (admittedly cool)
use of ESS to submit the programs from within Emacs.

Really all we use ESS for is the fontifying of SAS and S+ code, and I'd
like, if possible, to remove the excess weight.

Thanks again,
Daniel