[ESS] Rd-mode filling

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 3 08:50:11 CEST 2009

    TS> Hi,
    TS> Rd-mode doesn't seem to handle paragraph filling very well. At least for
    TS> me, it only recognizes blank lines as paragraph breaks, which means
    TS> hitting M-q anywhere in the following:

    TS> \name{het.init}
    TS> \alias{het.simulate}
    TS> \title{
    TS>   High-level functions to initialize, run and analyze cellular automata
    TS>   simulations.
    TS> }
    TS> \description{
    TS>   \code{het.simulate} is a wrapper that calls a number of helper
    TS>   functions to intitialize and run cellular automata simulations.
    TS> }

    TS> Produces this:

    TS> \name{het.init} \alias{het.simulate} \title{ High-level functions to
    TS> initialize, run and analyze cellular automata simulations.  }
    TS> \description{ \code{het.simulate} is a wrapper that calls a number of
    TS> helper functions to intitialize and run cellular automata simulations.
    TS> }

    TS> Not very pretty!

I agree and I have occasionally had the same experience.
In those cases I've always ``automatically subconsciously''
worked around the problem, using the empty-line trick ...

    TS>  I've written a hook to modify paragraph-start and
    TS> paragraph-separate that fixes this - is that of interest to others, or
    TS> is there some obvious fix that I've overlooked? I didn't see anything in
    TS> the manual or in essddr.el.

I agree that a good solution would be a patch to
  <ess>/lisp/essddr.el

Couldn't you try to change your hook into code that could be
part of essddr.el ?

Best regards,
Martin Maechler