[ESS] How to kill a SAS batch job

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Jul 10 21:33:48 CEST 2009

Daniel Muenz wrote:
> Hi all, I have two questions related to killing SAS batch jobs which were
> submitted with ESS.
>
> 1.  Is there an ESS command or some easy way within Emacs to kill a SAS
> batch job?  Say a program I submitted with ESS has been running longer than
> I think it should and I just want to kill it, what's the easiest way to do
> this?  Just as I have F3 bound to submitting the code, it would be great if
> I could have some other key bound to killing it.

No there isn't and I don't see an easy way to do such a thing.  Just go
to the *shell* buffer and kill it.  That's why they are submitted
through the *shell* buffer; so that you can interact with them when
necessary.

> 2.  When I exit Emacs, is there a way to automatically kill all running SAS
> jobs which were submitted through ESS?  If I have another copy of Emacs
> open with its own submitted SAS jobs, I don't want those to be affected,
> and similarly if I've got an xterm window open with SAS jobs running.

No.  In fact, the opposite is what is usually wanted since some SAS
jobs can take days or weeks to finish.