[ESS] using tramp for remote machine processes

Sebastian P. Luque spluque at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 23:38:54 CET 2008

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:22:21 -0600,
"Sebastian P. Luque" <spluque at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> Well I guess I am overlooking something, and that is: the *R* process
> is still local in that case, not remote... oops!  Sorry for that.

Or so I thought... but taking a closer look I see that the process is
remote after all:

M-x R RET      ; but this has the same effect as C-x C-f REMOTE-PATH RET
TRAMP-REMOTE-PATH RET

and in that process I get:

---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
R> system("uname -n")
REMOTE-HOST-NAME
R> quit()

///2f53d071957c12242c5f71e7d1784096

exit
Connection to REMOTE-HOST-NAME closed.
exit

I'm seeing this on GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 2.12.8) of 2008-02-28 on elegiac, modified by Debian, and ESS
5.3.6.  So TRAMP seems to be doing some very clever stuff here.  Is this
true with other setups?  Now if there's a way to forward X as in ssh
with -X, then this may not take much work.

--
Seb