[ESS] I can not use install.packages

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 7 04:54:33 CEST 2008

Spencer Graves <spencer.graves at pdf.com> wrote:

>      What operating system do you use?
>
>      I use Windows, and I have had the same problem for years.
> However, I don't understand Emacs / Xemacs well enough to even
> consider fixing it,  Moreover, I suspect that virtually all of the ESS
> Gurus avoid Windows like the Black Death and are therefore largely
> ignorant of the problem.

that's a good way of describing it!

In my .Rprofile, I have:

options(repos=c(CRAN="http://cran.uk.r-project.org/"),
        papersize="a4")

and I think if you do something similar, you'll not got asked for the
repos location.  I'm not sure where .Rprofile is put on Windows; the
closest I could see in the rw faq is that there should be a file
R_HOME\etc\Rprofile.site which you can presumbly edit to store the
repos.

Stephen