[ESS] I can not use install.packages

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Aug 7 04:38:27 CEST 2008

      What operating system do you use?

      I use Windows, and I have had the same problem for years.
However, I don't understand Emacs / Xemacs well enough to even consider
fixing it,  Moreover, I suspect that virtually all of the ESS Gurus
avoid Windows like the Black Death and are therefore largely ignorant of
the problem.

      My work-around is to use Rgui to "install.packages".  However,
before using "install.packages" or "update.packages" in Rgui, I need to
"q()" from Rterm in ESS.  Otherwise, if I I try to update a package that
is currently "in use" under ESS, it deletes most but not all of the
package and fails to install the replacement.  This "feature" of ESS
would have me tearing my hair out if I only had hair left to tear.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves