[ESS] setting coding systems for process

Vaidotas Zemlys zemlys at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 10:18:16 CET 2007

Hi,
Vaidotas Zemlys a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have (current-language-environment "UTF-8") in my .emacs file, but
> this apparently only sets file coding system to utf-8. Which options
> will ESS and Emacs both respect? When running ESS, I can change the
> process I/O coding systems with M-x set-buffer-process-coding-system,
> and everything works as it should. If I set similar option (which is it
> by the way?) in .emacs, will this affect ESS? Maybe there is an option
> to set specific coding system only to R and ESS?

Ok, as I suspected, this was really, not and ESS problem. With option

(setq process-coding-system-alist '(("R.*" . latin-7))

in my .emacs file, emacs sets process coding system to latin-7, when R
is started. Still for me the problem (using unicode without hassle) is
only half solved, but I think that is Windows problem. Unicode support
in Vista is code, but definitely not Uni. R is still not Unicode under
Windows, because of legacy systems (Windows 98), and Emacs (and Vim)
still does not work correctly out of the box, as it does in Linux.

Vaidotas Zemlys