[ESS] setting coding systems for process

Vaidotas Zemlys zemlys at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 14:57:22 CET 2007

Hi,

I use ESS 5.3.6 with Emacs 22.1 provided by Vincent Goulet on Windows
Vista with French locale. I would like to know how to set coding system
for R process. If ESS is not started, M-x describe-coding-system gives
such result:

Coding system for saving this buffer:
   Not set locally, use the default.
Default coding system (for new files):
   u -- mule-utf-8 (alias: utf-8)

Coding system for keyboard input:
   * -- cp1252 (alias of windows-1252)

Coding system for terminal output:
   * -- cp1252 (alias of windows-1252)

Defaults for subprocess I/O:
   decoding: u -- mule-utf-8-dos

   encoding: u -- mule-utf-8-unix

When ESS is started, the same command gives:

Coding system for saving this buffer:
   Not set locally, use the default.
   u -- mule-utf-8 (alias: utf-8)

Coding system for keyboard input:
   * -- cp1252 (alias of windows-1252)

Coding system for terminal output:
   * -- cp1252 (alias of windows-1252)

Coding systems for process I/O:
   encoding input to the process: - -- undecided-dos

   decoding output from the process: 1 -- iso-latin-1-dos

Defaults for subprocess I/O:
   decoding: - -- undecided-dos

   encoding: - -- undecided-dos

Since subprocess I/O changes I suspect that ESS does change something
related to encodings, am I right?

I have (current-language-environment "UTF-8") in my .emacs file, but
this apparently only sets file coding system to utf-8. Which options
will ESS and Emacs both respect? When running ESS, I can change the
process I/O coding systems with M-x set-buffer-process-coding-system,
and everything works as it should. If I set similar option (which is it
by the way?) in .emacs, will this affect ESS? Maybe there is an option
to set specific coding system only to R and ESS?

With Emacs 23 and ESS 5.3.6, under Ubuntu Feisty, with Unicode locale,
everything is set to utf-8, maybe I should look there?

Thanks in advance for any answers,

Vaidotas Zemlys