[ESS] R starts slowly in ESS

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu May 24 09:38:39 CEST 2007

    RMH> You have lots of objects.  Every object name in every
    RMH> attached package is inspected.

Yes.
However, I had understood Georg claimed that the startup of R
inside ESS was slow  *only* when there was a saved .RData  to be
loaded.

If that's the case, and as Georg shows, .RData only contains a
single object,  my explanation of the startup slowness is not
sufficient.

Georg can you confirm that "emacs -f R" is only slow when you
have a .RData in the current (working) directory and otherwise
not?

{BTW: Rich what happened with your e-mail software?
      It doesn't respect (and copy) the usually invisible
      'References:' mail headers any more.
 ==> which breaks "threading" in my mail-reader.
 Is this the latest M$ attack against worldwide established
 software standards ???
}

Martin