[ESS] Emacs finding "R" on Windows {was "Release of ESS 5.3.5"}

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Aug 24 17:30:57 CEST 2007

Phillip Lord wrote:

> The only package I am using `w32-regiface' is very small and has no
> dependencies on the rest of Emacs W32 so could just be included with ESS. I've
> attached it. In the original code I sent, I had incorrectly require'd
> w32-regdat (which require regiface).
>

>   >> Well, just as a start, this returns the latest R version if you are using
>   >> EmacsW32 and have not told R not to modify the registry.
>
>   SE> (Reading the double negative in this, I presume this means that by
>   SE> default, when installing R, it will modify the registry?).
>
> Well, I had to uninistall R to confirm. Yes, it's the default, although the
> user is asked (on the last step of the install) and can remove it. Also, if
> you uninstall, R removes it, so it won't pick up an old uninstalled version.
>

> Phil

Hi Phil:

Well, I was not able to see the attachment (tbird shows that there is a
MIME part there, but it wouldn't let me open it).  It's just as well
since I don't have a Windows machine handy to try it on.  But, here's
my take on the registry.  It is fragile.  Somebody may have moved the
R executable.  Something that we do all the time on Unix and Mac, so I
suspect it is common on Windows as well.  And, the executables are fine
thereafter, however, I suspect the registry will be wrong then.  Is my
supposition correct?

Rodney