[ESS] Emacs finding "R" on Windows {was "Release of ESS 5.3.5"}

Phillip Lord phillip.lord at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 17:13:00 CEST 2007

  SE> Yes, I agree -- if users do not have to touch PATH on windows, this is
  SE> one less thing for the new user to do.

  >> http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32Util.html
  >>
  >> I don't know how widely used this is among the ESS or Emacs on Windows
  >> community in general.
  SE> Certainly new to me, but I'm no windows user...

I think that it's a lovely package. Getting printing with GS, and ispell and
all of that stuff used to be a pain.

The only package I am using `w32-regiface' is very small and has no
dependencies on the rest of Emacs W32 so could just be included with ESS. I've
attached it. In the original code I sent, I had incorrectly require'd
w32-regdat (which require regiface).

  >> Well, just as a start, this returns the latest R version if you are using
  >> EmacsW32 and have not told R not to modify the registry.

  SE> (Reading the double negative in this, I presume this means that by
  SE> default, when installing R, it will modify the registry?).

Well, I had to uninistall R to confirm. Yes, it's the default, although the
user is asked (on the last step of the install) and can remove it. Also, if
you uninstall, R removes it, so it won't pick up an old uninstalled version.

Phil