[ESS] Help setting key binding for ess

Seth Falcon sethfalcon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 20:11:51 CET 2006

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:
> However, the reversion (revert to previous state with smart
> underscore) does not work, contrary to what the function name
> suggests.

Right, we'd need to save the prior state somewhere.  How does one get
the function bound to a key?  find-function-on-key is not it.

> I've applied your patch and improved it slightly
>  (- in doc string: `..', not `...`
>   - use local function instead of global ess-insert-S-assign ) :

Great.  Can you modify insert-S-assign so it handles extra spaces
nicely:

(insert-S-assign #'(lambda() (interactive) (delete-horizontal-space)
                     (insert ess-S-assign)))

> -- but I think one would really want the change such that a
> second call to (ess-toggle-S-assign-key .)
> would revert to smart underscore.

I think it should revert to whatever it was before, not necessarily
smart underscore.

+ seth