[ESS] Hyperlinks in help pages

Johan Sandblom jsandblom at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 11:16:05 CET 2006

I have

GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2005-12-18 on W2ONE
ESS 5.2.12
on WinXP

and I find that

> Can we first be sure about what happens when:
> Here are detailed instructions (please, other "listeners" try them too!):
>
> 1) After starting R (M-x R),
> 2) inside *R* buffer type
>       C-c C-v lm <Enter>
>                   you should now be inside a newly created buffer
>                   "*help[R](lm)*

No. The help buffer is created in another window but I am still inside
*R* buffer

> 3) Type
>         ss
>                 = [S]kip to the "[S]ee also" section in the help buffer
>         C-n C-n
>                 (advance two lines: "the cursor" (the "point" in Emacs-lingo)
>                  should now be somewhere on the word 'summary.lm')

No. 'ss' is undefined in the help buffer and in the *R* buffer merely types 'ss'

> 4) Type
>                 (in the minibuffer, you should be prompted with
>                 "Help on: (default summary.lm) "
>         <Enter>
>                 -> the help page for summary.lm opens in yet
>                    another new buffer.

Saying 'h' prompts me for a new help topic without a default whether
point is on 'summary.lm' or not.

> - Can you tell exactly where the above differs for you?
>
> - Could you also try with a non-alpha version of Emacs, i.e.
>   Emacs 21.3 or 21.4 ?

Sorry, don't have those anymore.

Regards, Johan