[ESS] Syntax highligtening for R, Rd, DESCRIPTION, NAMESPACE

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 05:55:32 CET 2006

On 3/17/06, Gregor GORJANC <gregor.gorjanc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tony and Daniel, thanks. I know font-locking i.e. i have the following in my
> .emacs file
>
> ;; Enabling font lock globally
> (global-font-lock-mode 1)
> (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t) ;; maximum font-lock
>
> But I would like additionally to:
> - colorize fields in NAMESPACE, DESCRIPTION
> - how to colorize function names, brackets, ...

I.e. how to customize font-locking into "fruit salad".

> R wiki is using some "engine" to do this and as far as I understood, it
> is written in PHP and I am wondering if this might be easily ported also
> to ESS?

No.  The fast and painful way would be to learn a bit about regular
expressions and write them in lisp.    If the script that did it was
reg-ex based, it ought to be reasonably simple.  See the SAS reg ex's
in the code which are a good example, or the extended C++ or Java
fontlocking, which is much closer to what you are thinking about.

I don't know if anyone else has time to do this (my time is limited as
I can't work on this during my work anymore).

best,
-tony

blindglobe at gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily
roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).