[ESS] Updated instructions/init file for XEmacs and Windows

paul sorenson sourceforge at metrak.com
Fri Jan 13 21:37:45 CET 2006

John Fox wrote:
> Dear Rodney,
>
> I believe that I responded to David's query earlier today.
>
> The two key points are that (1) the current installer for XEmacs installs
> into c:\XEmacs by default (at least it does that for me); and (2) I was
> reluctant to put ESS in among XEmacs packages, where it would be found by
> require, because I worried about the XEmacs package tool becoming confused
> (now that ESS is no longer an XEmacs package). If you, or someone else, can
> think of a way of getting around (2), I'll implement it.

That appears to be what happens when you install it with make.  Having
gone through the exercise, I don't think it would be that difficult to
copy the relevant files around.  If there was an issue mingling with
XEmacs packages, then I am guessing the site-package directory could be
used and hopefully require works with that.