[ESS] ESS and Emacs Documentation for Dummies

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jan 2 14:06:55 CET 2006

    Mark> What I did was just go through Kasper's original
    Mark> documentation and put some asterisks around where I
    Mark> think stuff needs to Be added/modified in each
    Mark> section.

    Mark> Martin : I think you were the person who asked about
    Mark> the documentation so if you want to tell me what to do
    Mark> to make this documentation "official", I have no
    Mark> problem trying to do this ( unless Kasper wants to
    Mark> continue. I feel like I owe this list some service ).

yes, either Kasper or you, thank you for the offer.
{Maybe you can "talk" to each other and decide?}

Format: Unless both of you know 'texinfo' (which I assume is not the
case), I think you should just use html.
And, as a next step, you should have it available at a web
location, and only post the URL instead of the whole document.
{Adding a date to the doc would help to keep corrections /
 updates current}.

    Mark> I haven't used latex in years but I am willing to
    Mark> download Miktex ( oh no !!!!!! that could be scary )
    Mark> and try to rel-earn it etc.  or maybe microsoft word
    Mark> is enough ?

(see above)

    Mark> Also, the last section of below still needs some work
    Mark> but I couldn't add anything because I didn't know the
    Mark> answer to my question.

Happy New Year, to all "listeners"!

Martin