[ESS] ESS and Emacs Documentation for Dummies

Mark Leeds Mleeds at kellogggroup.com
Mon Jan 2 07:05:24 CET 2006

What I did was just go through
Kasper's original documentation and put some
asterisks around where I think stuff needs to
Be added/modified in each section.

Martin : I think you were
the person who asked about the documentation
so if you want to tell me what
to do to make this documentation
"official", I have no problem trying
to do this ( unless Kasper wants to continue. I
feel like I owe this list some service ).
I haven't used latex in years but I am willing to download
Miktex ( oh no !!!!!! that could
be scary ) and try to rel-earn it etc.
or maybe microsoft word is enough ?

Also, the last section of below still
needs some work but I couldn't
add anything because I didn't know
the answer to my question.

Below is Kasper's Original documentation
along with my adds/comments.

Installation of ESS+Emacs under Windows
=======================================

## Versions ##

Last updated 2005-12-31 using ESS 5.2.11, R-2.2.1 and a danish version
of Windows 2000.

## Some background ##

There are two different releases of Emacs: GNU Emacs and
Xemacs. Until recently Xemacs came with a large bundle of packages as
well as a windows installer, meaning it was relatively easy to install
for an Emacs newbie. On the other hand, updating the ESS package for
Xemacs was harder than doing it for GNU Emacs.

Recent posts on the ESS mailing list have indicated that Xemacs no
longer ships with ESS   ( *************** Mark Leeds change so below is
documentation installing ESS with GNU Emacs )

## Installing GNU Emacs ##

Get the newest release of GNU Emacs for Windows from
   [gnu-emacs](http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs)

There are several files in this location. I have been using
`emacs-21.3-bin-fullbin-i386.tar.gz`

Download the file and extract it. Any reasonable zip utility for
Windows ought to handle `.tar.gz` files. I suggest extracting the
files to a temporary directory. This directory will now contain
`emacs-21.3` with the subdirctories `bin`, `lisp`, `etc`, `doc`,
`site-lisp` Copy the `emacs-21.3` directory to the place you want to
install Emacs, I suggest `C:\Program Files`. Then run the program
`emacs-21.3/bin/addpm.exe`, which will add Emacs to your start
menu. You may want to add a shortcut to `emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe`
to your desktop and/or quicklaunch bar.

Emacs is now installed.

****

Mark Leeds' changes to this section  ## Installing GNU Emacs ##

When you want to download emacs, you go to the site above but the file
is called emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz. When you save it in Windows (
to whatever directory you like ), the file gets renamed automatically to
emacs-21.3-fullbin-i1386.tar.tar. In order to be able to subsequently do
the extraction using a winzip program, you have to take off the last
".tar" in the name ( I renamed in the file at a dos prompt ) before
winzip will unzip it. If you don't do this, winzip will give an error on
extraction.

****

## The HOME directory and .emacs ##

Emacs is configured either using a local or a global configuration
file. Unless you are a sys admin installing a multiuser system, the
local configuration file will be sufficient. On Windows that file is
called `_emacs` and the default location is `C:\` or where the HOME
environment variable is pointing to. In Emacs documentation that file
is referred to as .emacs (dot-emacs).

Depending on your system it may or may not be useful to setup your
HOME variable properly. The advantages are that it allows for
different .emacs files for different users (of course irrelevant for a
single user system) and that the ~ character expands to the HOME
directory, as *NIX users may be used to.

Setting the HOME is different depending on what version of Windows you
are running. On Windows 2000 you right-click on "My Computer", select
properties -> advanced -> environment variables, and then create a
variable called HOME pointing to the relevant home directory.

****

Mark Leeds changes to this section ## The Home directory and .emacs ## :

As far as I could tell, GNU Emacs does not install a .emacs file during
installation so I just made one myself and put it in the directory
HOME which in my case was C:Documents and Settings\mleeds.

One can find the value of HOME in windows by typing echo
%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% at a dos prompt.

*

## Installing ESS ##

Download the latest version of ESS from
[ess.r-project.org](http://ess.r-project.org)

This comes in form of either a tar.gz or a .zip archive (there are no
differences between the two archives). Extract the contents of the
archive into `emacs-21.3/site-lisp`. That will create the directory
`emacs-21.3/site-lisp/ess-5.2.11`.

We now need to load ESS. This is done by placing the following command
in the .emacs file:

     (load "C:/Progra~1/emacs-21.3/site-lisp/ess-5.2.11/lisp/ess-
site.el")

You can test whether it works by starting up Emacs and do

      C-x C-f test.R

This should open up a buffer with an R script called test.R. If the
like `(ESS[S] [none])` in the second to last line of the Emacs window.

**

Mark Leeds' changes to the section ## Installing ESS ## : NO CHANGES.

**

## Making sure that inferior-R mode works ##

Try to start R from within Emacs by executing

     M-x R

My experience is that this does not work out of the box with ESS
5.2.11. In that case Emacs will say somethng like "Unable to locate
Rterm.exe". In that case, add the following to your .emacs

     (setq inferior-R-program-name "C:/progra~1/R/R-2.2.1/bin/
Rterm.exe")

Mark Leeds' changes to the section ## Making sure that inferior-R mode
works ## :

This seemed to work right away
for me. I didn't need the setq inferior command above but it was
asking for a .Rprofile file which I didn't have and the default working
directory is C:/Program Files/emacs-21.3/bin which is not preferred by
me.
I would like the working directory of R
to be controlled by me but I am not sure how to
do this ( control the working directory when
it starts up ) but this is probably something that should
be added.

**

END OF DOCUMENT