[ESS] ess-mode: Wrong type argument: syntax-table-p, nil

Leon sdl.web at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 20:22:33 CET 2006

Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk> writes:

>  > > Thanks - what command did you run to generate this backtrace?
>  > Turn the debug on and M-x ess-mode.
>
> Ah, that might be the problem.  I'm not sure M-x ess-mode is defined
> to turn on a particular mode.  e.g. if you want the current buffer to
> be R mode, you should do M-x R-mode  (and of course if the buffer
> filename has suffix .R or .r it should do this automatically).
>
> What buffer were you currently in and what did you expect to happen/
>
> Thanks, stephen

I see your point. I'm configuring the installation so that other users
can readily run ess. I found it strange because although 'M-x
ess-mode' gives error, the 'ess' menu is properly installed. I can
start the R process from it. This makes me question is it nessary to
produce such an error?

Thanks.
--
Leon