[ESS] ess-mode: Wrong type argument: syntax-table-p, nil

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Feb 22 08:51:53 CET 2006

    Leon> I have (require 'ess-site) in ~/.emacs, but the error
    Leon> is still there. Which version of emacs are you using?
    Leon> I suspect it might be the reason.

I had started to use emacs 22.0.50 (the "alpha" pre-release of
the next version of GNU Emacs) for a while, just in order to
test ESS  (and because 22.x has a few nice extra features).
I even had automated the building of 22.0.50 from CVS about
every week or so...  But a few weeks ago, I had to give up using
it since it seemed ``completely broken'' at least for my
(extensive!) initialization {i.e. loading of ~/.emacs and dependencies}.

So my own conclusion has been that 22.0.50 has been too much broken
for me to be usable for the time being.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich