[ESS] Snw files are not weaved by C-c C-c from AucTeX-mode

Friedrich Leisch Friedrich.Leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Aug 3 11:48:27 CEST 2006

  >  [........]

  MM> Two remarks :

  MM> o Sweave already allows *TWO* syntaxes,

  MM> 1) the one mentioned earlier in this thread

  MM> 2) a ``LaTeX-like'' one {that nobody uses, at least
  MM> not from the dozen or so samples I've seen}

  MM> It seems you should look at option '2)' quite a bit.

  > The official Sweave manual, currently

  >   http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch/Sweave/Sweave-manual-20060104.pdf

  > explains about the "latex-like" syntax in secion
  > '3.5 Syntax definition'

  > You use it typically using  *.Stex (or *.Rtex) instead of *.[SR]nw
  > or explicitly by saying

  > \SweaveSyntax{SweaveSyntaxLatex}

  > and then, instead of the noweb-like syntax

  > --------------------------
  > <<....>>=

  >  ..S-code..

  > @
  > --------------------------

  > you use

  > --------------------------
  > \begin{Scode}{....}

  >  ..S-code..

  > \end{Scode}
  > --------------------------

  > (The above is all according to the manual, and not tested)
  > Yes, I think ESS should also support the 'SweaveSyntaxLatex'
  > and do it automatically when the file extension is *.Stex or
  > *.Rtex

  > Fritz, do you have any comments on this?

I introduced the second syntax mainly because Vince Carey (and others)
have complete R packages in a noweb file, and that would not work if
some files in an R package (namely the vignettes) are noweb files
themselves. To have the syntax generic also helps a lot in porting to
other languages like the HTML driver in the R2HTML package.

I personally always use the noweb syntax, so have no real need for ESS
supporting the other syntax, but oithers may have a different opinion

Best,
Fritz