[ESS] Using Rterm under Cygwin Emacs, and future Sweave handling extensions.

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Nov 25 09:46:52 CET 2005

    tony> I'm not seeing that problem.  However, there was at least one case of
    tony> ess-microsoft-p
    tony> not flagging being in Microsoft Windows (i.e. we aren't careful about
    tony> differentiating between MinGW and Cygwin).

    tony> I'll look more into this soon.

IIRC, also from a local colleague, the problem is +/- the
following:

On windoze, there's
1) the "native" windows Emacs (and several
   kinds of "shells", including real ones such as bash)
2) There's  Cygwin / MingGW  versions of Emacs
   (which use bash when using a shell, e.g., for M-x shell).

And it seems for both, our  'ess-microsoft-p' is t (TRUE)
(which may be correct, since the OS is M$ after all),
but in some cases, notably the one below,
in case "2)" the behavior should be rather "unixish" than
"windowsish".

Yes, that would be great if this could be made to work correctly
-- automatically -- "real soon now".

Martin