[ESS] RGUI not responding

Chris Evans chris at psyctc.org
Thu Mar 31 16:51:13 CEST 2005

My first post to ESS-help and I have tried a google search of the
archives without success but hope I'm not missing the obvious.

I'm running R 2.01 under Windoze 2k and ESS 5.2.3 (updated to that
using the XEmacs update function, same problem was there with a,  now
sadly unknown, earlier version) under XEmacs 21.4 (again, was same
under earlier) and, with some dificulty, I've got same ESS running
under Emacs 21.3.  All those produce the same problem but running
Rgui directly in the same windoze on the same machine, with the same
R commands, doesn't.

Problem is that the RGUI task becomes nonresponsive if I create any
halfway complicated graphics in there and swap away from it
(typically after doing a ^W metafile copy to the clipboard but I
don't think that's necessary.

Seems to be utterly reliable problem, happens if there's any other
program around to swap to as far as I can see and regardless of how
many other programs there are or if Windoze has just been rebooted.

Odd thing is that this doesn't seem to happen at all using RGUI
directly as I say.  When it does happen, task manager process list
shows that task as unresponding and system idle processes as using
99% of the CPU and other programs continue to work fine.

Anyone seen this?  Any suggestions?  I love the Xemacs/ESS/R combo
and can't ditch Windoze though I pretty much hate it.  I can work by
cutting and pasting to RGUI but it feels awful after the convenience
of ESS.

TIA,

Chris

--
Chris Evans <chris at psyctc.org>
Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy, Rampton Hospital;