[ESS] - SOLVED - ess causes xemacs crash in Fedora Core 4

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 15 16:08:12 CEST 2005

Problem solved with updating.

Sorry to bother everyone.  I just hadn't realized how many
updates there have been since the "release" of FC4, which
actually came out a week late.  For one thing, the installer did
not update xemacs from the FC3 version.  And there is a new
version of xorg-xll.

So, the message is: AFTER YOU INSTALL FC4, RUN "YUM UPDATE"
BEFORE YOU GO POSTING TO HELP LISTS.

On 06/15/05 08:37, Marc Schwartz wrote:
 On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 08:20 -0400, Jonathan Baron wrote:
 > I just upgraded to Fedora Core 4.  Now xemacs crashes when I try
 > to load a file into it, or when I start with "xemacs -f R."  If I
 > remove all references to ess from the init.el file, xemacs works
 > as usual except for using ess, of course.  Upgrading ess to 5.2.8
 > did not help.  What does help is using xemacs -nw.  That is the
 > apparent workaround for now, but of course it loses a lot.
 >
 > Anyone else have this problem?  I have not yet tried fooling
 > around with .Xresources or with ess itself.
 >
 > Jon

 Jon,

 When you open xemacs, does it come up in a maximized window?

Not really.  It is pseudo-maximized through settings in
.Xresources, which make it as big as possible within the
constraints of the fonts.

 If so, there is a known bug/interaction between xemacs and metacity
 (GNOME's default window manager) which causes xemacs to exhibit behavior
 ranging from a lock up situation, to a crash, to flickering. This
 problem has been around for a few versions of RH/FC

Don't get that.

 One other thing that I have noted, which is when doing a "find" in
 xemacs using the dialog from the menu, text entered does not appear in
 the dialog field, but below the dialog. In order to see this, you need
 to drag the lower window border larger to reveal the lower section of
 the dialog. This is new for FC4.

I don't see this problem either.  I didn't even know that Find
existed.  But it works.  I use ctrl-s.

Jon
Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron