[ESS] RE: [R] Ess packages for Suse-9.2 available ?

Paul Johnson pauljohn at ku.edu
Fri Jan 14 17:26:21 CET 2005

No need to worry. Everything is copasetic.

Tom and I worked this out a while ago.  I agreed with the changes he
wanted to make. We adopted his preferred name for the package,
emacs-ess, and it obsoletes the old name I had chosen when I started
making RPMS, which was ess-emacs.

I do worry somewhat about this package being classified as "noarch" in
Tom's version.  Are elc files truly portable across architectures?

I'll always be maintaining packages we need on our systems, and anybody
that wants to use them can do so.  I'm happy that Tom will be your
official package maintainer, no problem there.

My version is distinguished only in some start time config options that
I prefer.  The README file from the installed RPM says:

---------------------------------
This version of emacs-ess includes some settings preferred
for our computer lab at the Department of Political Science
at the University of Kansas. Otherwise, it is the same as Tom
Moertel's version.

To see the special features we prefer, please look in your
emacs distribution's site-start.d directory, where you should see
a file called ess-init.el.  In there, we have these commands:

(require 'pc-select)
(pc-selection-mode)

(require 'ess-site)
(setq inferior-ess-own-frame t)
(setq inferior-ess-same-window nil)

;;create a new frame for each help instance

(setq ess-help-own-frame t)
;;If you want all help
;; buffers to go into one frame do:

;; (setq ess-help-own-frame 'one)

Since the ESS team added the option to have ESS start in its own
frame partly at our urging, we feel we've got the right to use it.

Paul Johnson <pauljohn at ku.edu>

Generally, there will be no need to modify your .emacs file in order
to use the features of this package -- they are enabled by default
when you start Emacs.

Cheers,
Tom

--
Tom Moertel <tom-rpms at moertel.com>
EOF

Notice what you see if you do
$ rpm -qip emacs-ess-5.2.4-1.PJ.noarch.rpm
Name        : emacs-ess                    Relocations: /usr
Version     : 5.2.4                             Vendor: (none)
Release     : 1.PJ                          Build Date: Fri 14 Jan 2005
10:21:13 AM CST
Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host: pols110.pols.ku.edu
Group       : Applications/Editors          Source RPM:
emacs-ess-5.2.4-1.PJ.src.rpm
Size        : 6257127                          License: GPL
Signature   : (none)
Packager    : Paul Johnson <pauljohn at ku.edu>
URL         : http://ess.r-project.org/
Summary     : Emacs Speaks Statistics add-on package for Emacs
Description :
This package provides Emacs Speaks Statistics (ESS), which provides
Emacs-based front ends for popular statistics packages.

ESS provides an intelligent, consistent interface between the user and
the software.  ESS interfaces with S-PLUS, R, SAS, BUGS and other
statistical analysis packages under the Unix, Microsoft Windows, and
Apple Mac OS operating systems.  ESS is a package for the GNU Emacs
and XEmacs text editors whose features ESS uses to streamline the
creation and use of statistical software.  ESS knows the syntax and
grammar of statistical analysis packages and provides consistent
display and editing features based on that knowledge.  ESS assists in
interactive and batch execution of statements written in these
statistical analysis languages.

This version of emacs-ess includes some settings preferred
for our computer lab at the Department of Political Science
at the University of Kansas. Otherwise, it is the same as Tom
Moertel's version. See the README file for an explanation.

Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn at ku.edu
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504