[ESS] Cannot open load file: ess-emcs

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Aug 31 17:24:19 CEST 2005

Kevin wrote:
   (load "C:/Program
Files/XEmacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess/ess-5.2.9/lisp/ess-site")
and it started working.

I have to say that I found the installation instructions amazingly opaque.
So I will  put my own insturcitons for my students at
  http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~murphyk/Software/ESS.html

Hi Kevin:

Instructions are very difficult to write so I wouldn't be
too critical.  In any case, your location of ESS 5.2.9
seems incredibly strange to me.  In the XEmacs package
system, the "lisp" directory has sub-directories
containing lisp code, i.e.
"C:/Program Files/XEmacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess/ess-site.el"

Therefore, you are better off placing ESS 5.2.9 somewhere
outside of the XEmacs package system since it is a GNU
Emacs style package rather than XEmacs.  In the future,
I think, we will most likely only have the GNU Emacs
style packages since the XEmacs packages are too often
out of date due to the difficulty in creating them.

Thanks, Rodney