[ESS] configuring the ess-toolbar under emacs

Woodrow Setzer wsetzer at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 5 23:27:35 CEST 2005

Stephen,
No, I did not get it.  However, I have (require 'ess-site) in site-start.el (or something like that; I don't have access to my linux box right now).  The point is,  ess is started before it reads the configuration information in .emacs, so the toolbar is already set up when any changes recorded in ~/.emacs are read.

If you use emacs's configuration dialogs, you get something very like your suggestion.

I had two motives for posting my question:
1)  I really wanted to know if there was another way to solve my problem (currently I recreate the toolbar, using code copied from ess-toolbar.el, at the end of .emacs)
2)  I wanted to point out a situation in which the "standard" approach to reconfiguring emacs did not seem to work.  It looks like there needs to be provision for "hooks" in the block of configuration code that gets put in .emacs that would include functions that were executed during that late part of initialization.