[ESS] Is ess supposed to help with Sweave documents?

David Whiting dave_lists at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 28 10:24:56 CEST 2004

Hi,

[Sorry, I missed this thread. I changed my email
address for my lists to this yahoo address and need to
change it back again or do something with it---it is
far too hard to manage lists this way.]

 --- Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>
wrote:

> the first one:  He uses (search ....) in quite a few
> of his functions
> but there's no emacs-lisp function called "search"
> in GNU Emacs 21.3.
>
> David, where do you get it from?

I have no idea how I found it (and perhaps this is a
better way to do what I did with it) but it seems to
be in cl-seq.el which is a part of common lisp (I
think). Here's something about it:

http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/RZ/software/emacs/cl/cl_2.html

As an aside, I am starting to play with organising my
work as "Sweave projects" that have a standard
directory structure with the .Rnw file(s) in the top
directory and subdirectories for:

docs (for PDF and PS output);
tex-work (.log, .aux, .toc, .out files);
figs;
ext-inputs (files or symlinks to files that are needed
as input in the scripts, e.g. CSV files);
tables (for saving tables as CSV files to give to
people who do not use R---sinners!).

I guess I should also have a directory called objects
for saving objects into.

I find that this structure helps to stop me getting
too overwhelmed with files in a single directory. I
hardly ever write a straight .R file these days. I
find that by the time I have written comments in an R
source file I might as well make it a .Rnw file and
use Stangle() to create source code (I will probably
add an R subdirectory to my projects approach).

I have modified my sweave-tools.el to work with this
structure and also have template Makefiles so I can
choose how to run Sweave (usually interactively in
emacs as I develop the code, then with make when
running an unchanged update).

I know that others are developing approaches or styles
for working with Sweave for their own use and I was
wondering if it might be good for us all to share
these somewhere and even consider recommending a
common approach.

Dave.