[ESS] Is ess supposed to help with Sweave documents?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Oct 28 09:47:22 CEST 2004

    PaulEJ> Thanks! The functions mentioned in that email have
    PaulEJ> the promise to do just what I want.  I tucked them
    PaulEJ> into my ~/.emacs and changed my Sweave file name to
    PaulEJ> doc.Rnw.

    PaulEJ> The first function, which sends the thing to R and
    PaulEJ> runs Swaeave, does work.

    PaulEJ> However, when I try the next step, the emacs status
    PaulEJ> bar says the error is:

    PaulEJ> substring: Symbol's function definition is void: search

    PaulEJ> Does this mean that Dave's script assumes access to
    PaulEJ> a function called search that I do not have,

    PaulEJ>  or does it mean I have search and it is failing. I'm sorry
    PaulEJ> to be so elementary...

the first one:  He uses (search ....) in quite a few of his functions
but there's no emacs-lisp function called "search" in GNU Emacs 21.3.

David, where do you get it from?

    PaulEJ> Stephen Eglen wrote:

    >> Paul Johnson writes:
    >> > I was just learning how to do Sweave documents with Emacs & R.  I did
    >> > not find a simple 1-2-3 explanation of how this is supposed to go.
    >>
    >> hi Paul, not a complete answer, but have you seen:
    >> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2004-September/002108.html

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich