Problems calling S-Plus help

Riccardo Gusso rgusso at unive.it
Wed Jan 15 19:57:24 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 23:28, Rich Heiberger wrote:
> (server-start) is correct for emacsclient
> (gnuserv-start) is correct for gnuclient
>
> Since Riccardo Gusso is having success when he manually uses
> (server-start)
> it looks like he is has emacsclient on his machine.
> Therefore
> (server-start)
> is the line that belongs at the end of init.el

I am sorry, perhaps I was not clear in my previous e-mail: what I wanted
to say is that I succedeed in starting manually the server with 'M-x
server-start' but from emacs, not from xemacs. 'M-x gnuserv-start' is
indeed the correct command for xemacs.
What I wanted to point out is that even if you put the line
'(gnuserv-start)' in the init.el file, Splus starts using emacsclient as
help.pager, so if you want to use gnuclient you have to modify Splus
options. If you don't do this, and you want to use emacsclient as
help.pager, then the I only way I have until now found to start the
mysterious server that it requires, is to start emacs and then to
execute the command 'M-x server-start' inside emacs; but in this case
the help windows that you call from xemacs will appear in an emacs
frame, not in a xemacs one.

> The raw html version of the help files is a different issue.  My
> memory says that there is a way to see the non-html version of the
> help files, but I don't know what it is.  If you can find in the
> S-Plus documentation how to do it at all, then I will be able to tell
> you how to duplicate that from within ESS.  I use S+6 for Windows, not
> S+6 for Linux, so I can't check this out myself.

I will try to find how to do it, thanks again for your answer.
Bye,
            Riccardo Gusso