Problems calling S-Plus help

Rich Heiberger rmh at surfer.sbm.temple.edu
Tue Jan 14 23:28:49 CET 2003

(server-start) is correct for emacsclient
(gnuserv-start) is correct for gnuclient

Since Riccardo Gusso is having success when he manually uses
(server-start)
it looks like he is has emacsclient on his machine.
Therefore
(server-start)
is the line that belongs at the end of init.el

I believe the second line that Rodney suggested
(setq gnuserv-frame t)
is only useful when gnuclient is used.  Since it sets a variable
that will never be referenced when emacsclient is used, the extra line
will not be harmful.

Part of the initialization of ESS sets up the options() line that
Riccardo Gusso noticed.  That, together with the (server-start) in
init.el, is what makes this work.

The raw html version of the help files is a different issue.  My
memory says that there is a way to see the non-html version of the
help files, but I don't know what it is.  If you can find in the
S-Plus documentation how to do it at all, then I will be able to tell
you how to duplicate that from within ESS.  I use S+6 for Windows, not
S+6 for Linux, so I can't check this out myself.

Rich