DEL behaves as BS

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jan 2 17:40:50 CET 2003

Dear Alberto,

IN Emacs, the keyboard is completely configurable. Adding the following
lines to your init.el file should produce the behaviour that you want:

       (define-key ess-mode-map [delete] 'delete-char) ; delete key deletes
character under (i.e., to right of) cursor
       (define-key inferior-ess-mode-map [delete] 'delete-char) ; delete
key deletes character under cursor

I hope that this helps,
  John

At 01:32 PM 1/2/2003 +0000, Alberto Murta wrote:
>Dear all
>
>I've just started using ess and emacs (in fact xemacs). I was forced to
>"convert" myself to emacs just to use it with ESS and R :)
>I have the following problem: the delete key behaves normally when
>editing ordinary text (deletes the character after the cursor), but
>behaves as backspace when editing R files. Could someone point out why
>is this happening? I'm using xemacs 21.1 and ESS 5.1.24.
>Happy New Year!

John Fox
Department of Sociology
McMaster University