html help

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Wed Dec 17 21:30:50 CET 2003

On 12/17/03 10:56, A.J. Rossini wrote:
>"Fox, Gordon" <gfox at chuma1.cas.usf.edu> writes:
>
>> If I run R in a terminal window and issue a help.start(), help(command)
>> opens a browser window with the help file displayed properly.`
>>
>> If I run R under ESS in Xemacs and issue a help.start(), a browser window is
>> opened but help(command) displays the help in an Xemacs buffer.
>>
>> I'm running R version 1.8.1 and Xemacs 21.4.12-6 on a Redhat Linux 9 box. I
>> just updated the ESS package from xemacs.org yesterday in hopes that that
>> might fix the problem; it didn't.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to how to fix this? Thanks.

What I do is to use my browser (Mozilla) for help.  I have a
button on the personal toolbar (actually 3 buttons) point to the
R html files on my local computer, /usr/local/lib/R/doc/html/,
for example (if you install from source on Linux), and I just
click these.  I find the html help much more useful than the text
help because of the links from one help file to another.

The down side is that this is essentially the only thing I do
with a pointing device (touchpad) when I'm actually working (as
distinct from when I'm goofing off).

Jon
Home page:            http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
R page:               http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/