html help

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Wed Dec 17 19:56:18 CET 2003

"Fox, Gordon" <gfox at chuma1.cas.usf.edu> writes:

> If I run R in a terminal window and issue a help.start(), help(command)
> opens a browser window with the help file displayed properly.`
>
> If I run R under ESS in Xemacs and issue a help.start(), a browser window is
> opened but help(command) displays the help in an Xemacs buffer.
>
> I'm running R version 1.8.1 and Xemacs 21.4.12-6 on a Redhat Linux 9 box. I
> just updated the ESS package from xemacs.org yesterday in hopes that that
> might fix the problem; it didn't.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to fix this? Thanks.

Unfortunately, it's a feature, not a bug (i.e. keeping everything
within Emacs).  I'm not sure how to do it otherwise, we'd have to
verify that whatever we do doesn't break usage of Emacs/ESS under:

1. MS Windows
2. Unix X11 and Unix terminal mode
3. Mac OSX in various incantations (hopefully soon to only be one?!).

It's the principle of least suprise, i.e. you get the same behaviour
under all approaches.

Whether it's the right principle to apply isn't clear -- it apparently
bit you.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}