ESS on Panther

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Mon Dec 15 23:00:16 CET 2003

On 16/12/2003, at 8:40 AM, Rodney Sparapani wrote:

> On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 03:25 PM, John Maindonald wrote:
>
>> I seem not to have copied my earlier message to the list.  Has anyone
>> successfully used Andrew Choi's emacs with ESS under Panther?
>>
>> My .emacs works fine with the crippled emacs that comes with Apple's
>> Xcode, but has the same problem as Kieran's with Andrew Choi's emacs.
>>
>> Is the folllowing an issue? I quote from To quote from the README.txt
>> that came with Andrew Choi's emacs (21.3.50):
>>
>> "
>> This version of Emacs doesn't see the expected shell environment
>> variables. Because it's launched by the Finder, not by another Unix
>> shell process. Mac OS X does have a way around this issue: and you can
>> set environment variables for all Finder launched processes, including
>> Emacs.app.
>>
>> You create a file ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist which has an dictionary
>> of environment variables in it, then you must log in again for it to
>> take effect. Then Emacs will see those environment variables. In this
>> manner you could make Emacs.app see, for example, a different PATH
>> variable.
>> "
>>
>> John Maindonald.
>
> John:
>
> I don't think this has anything to do with Panther per se.  The same
> problem exists on Jaguar and
> I suppose the same solution would work there as well.  I use a
> different approach since I use the
> Terminal for file handling rather than the Finder.  Create an alias:
> emacs='open /Applications/Emacs.app'
> However, neither of these approaches allow command line arguments.
>
> Rodney

I've tried the alias
   emacs='open /Applications/Emacs.app'
The same errors arise; they clearly relate to something that Choi's
emacs does
not like in the ess-site file.  I suppose I should have asked what the
experience
has been in using Choi's emacs with any version of Mac OS X.
John.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Bioinformation Science, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.